There’s an old saying: “Advertising is what you pay for, publicity is what you pray for.”
In today’s post, we’re exploring what PR is not.
And straight off the bat, dear readers, PR is *not* advertising.
PR is defined as ‘earned media’, which is arguably the most trusted and credible form of content for a brand. In other words, earned media is ‘king’.
You can pay for all the advertising your budget will allow, but when it comes to influencing buyer behaviour, a well-placed article in a magazine, newspaper or popular blog is where the high conversions really happen.
“If I was down to the last dollar of my marketing budget, I’d spend it on PR!” – Bill Gates
Earned media has both reach and staying power. And compared with traditional paid advertising, it is a highly cost-effective solution for brands wishing to gain influence within their target markets. Let’s look at the stats:
- A 2014 study from Nielsen concluded that PR is almost 90% more effective than advertising.
- Up to 92% of consumers trust word-of -mouth recommendations, but only 24% trust online ads.
- 25% to 40% of all traffic and lead generation comes from earned media.
- 70% of consumers prefer getting to know a company via articles rather than ads (Content Marketing Institute).
- Pagefair’s ‘Ad Blocking Report’ shows 420 million people(and counting!) are using ad blockers online
- According to research conducted by Ragan, 86% of people skip TV advertisements and 44% of direct mail is never opened.
- And 32% of marketers say that traditional paid advertising (print, outdoor, broadcast) is the most overrated marketing tactic (Source: State of Inbound, 2017.)
Earned media – coverage gained in print, online and broadcast media – should absolutely form part of your marketing strategy in 2018 and beyond.
A well thought-out PR strategy is cost effective, measurable and will continue to benefit your brand in the months and years to come.
So to influence your consumers, elevate your reputation and position your brand as an expert in its niche, contact us for a confidential consultation today.
To your product PR success!
In The Bag PR is an award-winning communications agency working with product businesses in the food, luxury and lifestyle markets.
When you’re ready to take your brand to the next level, we have packages ranging from strategy sessions, to pay-for-results coverage right through to monthly retained services.
You call us on 01305 458149 for a confidential discussion on your situation and we’ll give you our honest perspective on your requirements.
We’d love to hear from you!
*NEW* Do you sell Products? You’ll love our new Pay-For-Results Service: Click below for details…