Why did the juicer work for my friend and not for me? Let’s break it down (in brutal honesty):
- My friend is a vegan personal trainer whose business and life is built around healthy eating. There was my first clue. She even blogs about her home-made meals and writes diet plans for her clients. Crucially, she loves what she does and looks forward to the process[ing] (pun intended!)
- I, on the other hand, loved the results she was getting from this machine and assumed that the benefits would come to me as easily as they did her. Sadly I was forgetting that I’m not as naturally interested in home steaming / juicing / nut butter making as she is, and that I cook for convenience. Often in a rush.
- This machine saved my friend money because she was spending a small fortune on store bought products. Now, she could make all the finished products herself at home for a fraction of the price.
- This machine cost me money. Even though I had all the instructions, all the recipe books, and it was as simple as planning ahead and following a proven process, ultimately, it was another ‘to-do’ that stretched my already busy home-life. I knew this almost as soon as I bought it and within days, every time I looked it I felt confused, guilty and resentful.
- It suited my friend’s lifestyle.
- It didn’t suit mine. I sold it on.
In-House PR works when…
- You have a genuine interest in the process (or you hire someone that does)
- You have the time to commit to building relationships with the media (or you hire someone that does)
- You have such a proven product / business / message / record of success that you can save money by bringing the workload in-house
Choose an agency when…
- PR doesn’t come naturally to you and you don’t have time to learn (and, ‘learn to love’) the process
- When your time is too valuable to be spent scouring Google for PR contacts and calling journalists to sell-in your brand. Professional agencies like ours have exclusive press list subscriptions that are updated daily = contacts at your fingertips. Plus, we actively speak to your target publications on a monthly basis, building relationships and raising your profile in the media.
- You have a new product / business / message and you need professional strategy as to how you position it in the market for maximum results
To your PR – and juicing – success!