A small, independent Dorset business – or a business anywhere, for that matter – can go from courting the local audience to widespread, national coverage in 3 simple steps:
- By discovering their unique point of difference, then shouting about it!
- By investing in professional photography for their website, social media and marketing materials
- And most importantly being ready to react – fast – when PR opportunities come knocking
This year alone we have had several of our inspirational Dorset businesses feature in national online, film and print media, from The Mail Online, to The Metro, The Independent, QVC, the BBC, and many more.
One thing they’ve all had in common is that they know their point of difference in the market, and they use this to their advantage to separate themselves from their competitors and stand strong in a league of their own. This core trait, combined with professional photography and the hunger to pounce on PR opportunities that come their way, is why these small businesses are enjoying exposure of epic proportions.
“Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.” – Mark Twain
So how can you emulate the success of these businesses?
Just because you’re ‘small’, doesn’t mean you cannot gain PR and media attention in local, regional or national publications. These opportunities are open to everybody – providing you have the right ‘hook & look’.
Follow these simple steps, put in the hard work and you too could enjoy all the benefits that come with showcasing your product, service or venue to millions of people!
- In addition to the 3 vital ingredients we outlined earlier, get to know the publications, websites and productions where you would like to feature. Who is their editorial contact? How do they take submissions? What content do they generally publish?
- Make contact with the editorial team and request a calendar of upcoming features: then find ways to link them to your business
- Keep trying: while it’s not advised to harass a publication, it certainly pays to keep checking in with them in a professional and concise way to let them know what you’re up to – you never know, you might just be in the right place at the right time!
Here’s a snapshot of some of our fantastic client coverage from the last couple of months alone:
Below: The Dining Room’s Taher Jibet featuring in The Metro’s ‘Metro Life, Eat’ supplement, March 2015
Below: Nigel Bloxham, famed owner of Dorset’s stunning Crab House Café, featuring in The Metro’s ‘Metro Life, Eat’ supplement, March 2015
Below: Primrose Matheson, Founder Primrose’s Kitchen, featuring on QVC, March 2015
So there you have it!
National PR is absolutely on the cards for you, if you fine tune your business message and overall public profile. If you would like a confidential discussion on how we can work together to gain the coverage you really deserve, contact us on the details below. We look forward to hearing from you.
From Team In The Bag!
Contact In The Bag PR: